Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Param Vir Chakra


Savitri Khanolkar, daughter to a Russian mother and a Hungarian father and wife to an Indian Army Officer Vikram Khanolkar designed the Param Vir Chakra; the highest military decoration for valour or self-sacrifice in the presence of an enemy. It symbolizes Rishi Dadhichi who donated his bones to the Gods for making the Vajra.

This post is not about the actual Param Vir Chakra but about the TV series by Chetan Anand that used to air on Doordarshan some time in the early nineties. I used to watch the series with great respect for the soldiers and admiration for their utmost bravery. I had even taped some episodes and would watch them over and over. Just yesterday, I stumbled upon the title song of the show. It had a total of 15 episodes and in each, they would depict the life of the one particular Param Vir Chakra recipient. My favorites were of Major Som Nath Sharma, Major Dhan Singh Thapa and Lance Naik Karam Singh. I used to think and wish that some day I might be able to do a similar kind of service to my country. That dream always remained a dream but I hope I am able to contribute in some way that goes beyond the ordinary.

I wish Indian TV channels come out with DVD's of these shows of yesteryear which were favorites of all. I tried searching for these episodes online but I don't think they're available. All I could find was the song. Here's the link for all who used to love this show:




4 comments:

  1. SIR
    AS U SAID THAT U HAVE TAPED THE SHOW SO Y DONT U UPLOAD THE VIDEOS?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Harmanpreet,

    Thank you for reading this post. I had taped the episodes on VHS and unfortunately, over the years, the quality of the tapes completely deteriorated. That is why I have been searching for the episodes of this serial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi sir
    do you have found the videos of the serial Paramveer Chakra. Please informed update it in your blog.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. 9 Episodes of the show can be seen here
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpxmijIOsBzWbe9IcyaUljHtsPF2_TPCU

    ReplyDelete