Friday, October 1, 2010

The Mysterious Benefactor

'Great Expectations' by Charles Dickens was the first time I was introduced to this concept of a 'Mysterious Benefactor'. I must admit, I was very fascinated by it. I started looking forward to my own and I still am. Perhaps, he/she is JATC. If it's a 'she', she is probably my rich wife and if it's a 'he' then he is my rich father-in-law and I don't know who they are so they are still a mystery. Other than these two possibilities, I don't really see a benefactor who will change my life drastically for the better. One thing I have realized is that there is only that one in a billion person who really gets lucky and is able to change his/her life forever.

Surprisingly though, my belief is tested several times. I didn't think that it was such a far-fetched belief to be tested so frequently. I come across people who buy something which is expensive by their standards or it might really be that expensive but they somehow feel that if people found out that they have spent that amount, they would be judged as irresponsible. There is one reason I can consider and that is when, usually Indians have the tendency to put you on a pedestal as a 'badaa aadmi' or 'a rich guy' and that might become an embarrassing title for someone. It might also be that they really wanted to buy that, which was not in their easy grasp but yet they managed to pull it off. There is also that feeling where you have spent on something really expensive and do not want to show-off. But then what's the point? If I buy a Rolls Royce (I know it's an extreme example), even I do not intend to, it is going to show-off itself. That is the nature of some things and you can't do anything about it and I don't even see the objective behind it.

To just give you a couple of examples, someone told me today that they are getting a new bicycle from Dubai where his cousin is and he is giving it to him for free. That is not completely impossible but given his tone and his manner, it was very obvious. Another incident was when I overheard a conversation in my Gym where someone asked a trainer what his Protein supplement can cost him and he said that it was gifted to him by a friend. (I wish I had such friends). I just spent Rs.3400 on a can of Protein supplements!!!

Although I am not planning my life in anticipation of a benefactor, but if there is someone out there contemplating being mine; believe you me, now is the time to make it happen.......

1 comment: