Monday, October 11, 2010

KBC 4

Almost 10 years ago, India witnessed a revolution on TV with Kaun Banega Crorepati? hosted by the legendary Amitabh Bachchan. Nobody ever could have imagined the response that it received. I vividly remember the time when I was still in the 9th Standard and we would discuss last night's show the next day.

It was just a huge atomic explosion of popularity for TV, Amitabh Bachchan and for Game Shows in India. Streets would be deserted, restaurants completely empty and living rooms full with families watching the show together. It got to a point where restaurant owners installed TV's so that people can watch the show while having their dinner, theaters changed their 9 and 9.30 pm show times to 10 and 10.30 pm and it has never gone back. Somehow people just found that time to be comfortable. Funnily enough, it is besides the topic, but theaters came up with completely bizarre show times like 11 pm and even some times 11.45pm. Believe me, I have been to a 11.45 pm show for one of the very forgettable movies - Kisna,The Warrior Poet. For what it was worth, I really liked the songs and I still do.

Amitabh Bachchan immortalized non-sensational phrases and words like 'galat jawab', 'sure? confident?', 'goodnight, shubhratri, shabba khair', in his famous baritone voice. It was just something very intangible that attracted people to the show and it was very magnetic. Here are my guesses why I think it got such popularity:

  1. Amitabh Bachchan
  2. Amitabh Bachchan's charm
  3. Amitabh Bachchan's ability to hold pleasant conversations with the participants and make them comfortable.
  4. The first instance ever that a superstar was so easily available to the general public
  5. For me, personally, it seems like a fair way to earn a lot of easy money. It's not easy per se since you do need to have that General Knowledge but it is also does not take years and years of hard work and strain. And, to add to it all, you get to do this with Amitabh Bachchan and have fun also. So, it's very much a Win-Win situation whichever way you go.
If I end up on the show and win only a few thousand rupees or maybe even a few lakhs; of course I would be disappointed at that moment that I didn't win the Jackpot of Rs.5,00,00,000 but in retrospect I am sure it would be one hell of an experience. In any case, I would walk out with much more than I went in and not just in terms of money.

KBC 4 started today and it was fabulous. I loved it. I was waiting anxiously for it and I was satisfied. They were successful in creating and maintaining that aura about Amitabh Bachchan throughout the show. And he was able to recreate that magic from 10 years ago.

Perhaps I am a bit overzealous in praising the show but I am a huge fan of Mr.Amitabh Bachchan.

3 comments:

  1. Well just to mention if you didn't notice that it was not KBC4 but a new KBC. Amitabh Bachchan mentioned that it's the first episode of KBC. The obvious reason was change of the broadcasting channel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. U have captured the enthusiasm of a KBC aficionado quite well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Aamir: Thanks a lot.

    @Sonil: Actually I did notice that but it didn't register well with me like it did with you. The reason you give is quite logical.

    ReplyDelete