Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Jigsaw Puzzle

I have been shaped by the experiences in my life. The events in my life have shaped me to be who I am today. I don't know any more who I was originally. But I guess, even that wasn't too original.
 
At every stage my life, the circumstances around me have moulded me. They have forced me to adapt. Adaptation is crucial for survival. However, in this process, I did lose some good traits of my personality, improved upon some, gained some new ones and eliminated some bad ones. I don't complain because if I start to complain, I cannot choose to complain about only a part of the events that have altered my personality. The same events had both, positive and negative ramifications.
 
The 'life before' exists, ignorant of the future and the 'life after' exists, at most times wiser due to the past. The life before exists, at times sadder than the future and the life after exists, happier due to the past. The life before can also exist happier than the future and the life after can exist sadder than the past.
 
The words 'before' and 'after' that I use denote a life before and after a point in time. Since time is endless, this point in time could be as minute as a second or as large as a year or more. It really depends on one's perspective and even what passes during that point in time.
 
I believe that any event changes your life and can possible even alter your personality. A happy event makes the life after happier and a sad event will make the life after even sadder. In both instances, you pick up the pieces and move on. Mostly, this phrase is used when something negative has occurred and you need to move on with whatever is left with you. But, what if these pieces refer to a jigsaw puzzle?
 
You might have lost some pieces of the puzzle due to a sad event or you might have found some pieces to complete that puzzle. The goal is to complete that puzzle! If you know what the end picture looks like, then you know what you need to complete it. Sometimes though, you don't know what you have lost nor do you know what the end picture looks like.
 
At times, only when you find some pieces do you realise what the end picture should look like and unfortunately, at times when you lose some pieces forever, you will have to change the end picture istself.
 
What I find most remarkable in this, is the human capacity to persevere. Happiness makes perseverence easier while sadness will make it more difficult. But, what is important is to persevere.
 
I think the secret to perseverence lies in 'perspective'. Perspective is what will help you in seeing the end picture and help you complete it. Whether you are able to complete it or not, will perhaps be decided by God but even if you get close enough to see it materialising, I think it would be definitely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment