Monday, September 17, 2012

Life = Something Going On

Is life a continuum?
 
Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary defines it as "a coherent whole characterized as a collection, sequence, or progression of values or elements varying by minute degrees".
 
For me, the crucial part of the definition is the last part - varying by minute degrees. When I think about my life as a continuum, I find it difficult to fit it into this definition. My life has not changed by minute degrees. On the contrary, there have been some quite extreme changes. And, though I say, my life, I find similar instances in the lives of some people I know. Perhaps, it happens in everybody's life.
 
Then why, one might ask, am I thinking about continnum in life. The reason is that I had always thought about life as a continuum, or rather, in continuity. Now, as it turns out, it was even more foolish of me to think about life to be in continuity. The subtle difference in the two terms is that, continuum allows for some variation, whereas continuity does not. However, the closest I could come to a word that would bring some semblance to 'life' as something that has a begining and an end with some changes in it, was 'continuum'.
 
Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary defines continuity as "a: uninterrupted connection, succession, or union; and, b: uninterrupted duration or continuation especially without essential change".
 
Comparing continuum and continuity, I feel more comfortable with the prior than the latter, though still not satisfied with the word. As I understand it, everything that has a begining and an end, is a process and that process involves certain steps. I am sure that people who study spirituality could possibly have a better definition. I am sure that the people who study physics or engineering or any kind of science could give a better definition for what a process is. But for me, as a layman, I consider a process as something that has a begining and an end, and betwixt I have to go through some steps.
 
But, life hasn't given me till now any sense of ontinuity, continuum or process. However, to be a little bit more comfortable with some word that allows me to define 'life', I choose - process. Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary defines process, simply as 'something going on'. Although it scares me to apply this definition to life, it however allows me to at least be a little bit satisfied with what I can call 'life'. Something going on, is not something that inspires confidence in me and nor does it tell me anything. However, my curiosity to define life lessens a tad bit.
 
The most common definition of life that I have heard of till now is that 'life is a journey'. I think that, that is one of the most naive definitions. That time is in the past, when going on a journey meant literally going out into the unknown. Now, even if you need to go to the next town, you get there using a GPS. And, GPS systems are now even available on mobile phones. So, the unknown will only exist in your journey if you go into the moutains or the deserts or the jungles into areas where human habitation is uncommon. So, I think that the definition of 'journey' itself has probably changed. The dictionary I keep referring to, says that journey is an act or instance of travelling from one place to another. The destination is known in a journey, whereas in life, it is not; unless you consider death as your destination. If that is so, then I don't think this blog post is for you.
 
A journey involves travel and travel involves plans. I would really like to meet someone whose life turned out exactly as he or she had planned it (granted they should have had some plans first). In my experience, insignificant as it may perhaps be, nothing goes as planned. Something does go on, and that is - life.
 
So to conclude, a certain degree of acceptance of the definition of life as a process, helps me to accept the sudden changes that happen in life. Since I accept that life is 'something going on', then I also accept that anything can, essentially 'go on'.
 
 

4 comments:

  1. It all depends on what life means to you. Some people believe in god and know that there is something good after this life. Some other believe in reincarnation or even simply the fact that a part of them will still be leaving in your childrens. All these hopes are based on their believes and they are all legitimate so I think that you cannot define "life" with one word.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Sandra,

      First of all, thank you for your comment. I invite comments so I can have another perspective. I never claim to be never wrong. I love to be proven wrong so I can have a better answer.

      You are absolutely right, all hopes and beliefs are legitimiate; because they are our own. What you try to make of your life is your own choice. However, my contention is that our choices do not always deliver as we had expected them to. In spite of it, we continue along with our life making choices and decisions as we go along keeping in mind our beliefs. All I am saying is that, it is all a part of a process though as I have said it, I do not agree with this definition myself.

      When I say that I do not agree with the adage that 'life is a journey', it is propounded mostly by very spiritual people. I do not say this negatively at all, but I just think that it is not a very good description to accept.

      When I accept the word 'process' to a certain extent, I understand that there may not be a 'plan' in life; that there may not be a 'design' in life. What we are given is what we have to make do with. Some times, life is great and some times it is not. That is why, again I say, that it helps me to accept life as a process where 'something goes on' and that 'something' may be good or bad.

      Bisous,

      Mihir.

      Delete
  2. Aah.. Mihir! The story of your Life :)
    I'm not being pessimistic, because I feel it's good to plan a day but not good to plan a Life. Because I've understood one thing as a fact: Man proposes & God disposes.
    Maybe this thought would change in the near future, maybe it won't. (That depends on our evolution as individuals)
    I hope that for a change: Man proposes and God ACCEPTS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Aamir,

      I have come to understand more and more that, sometimes things work out better when there is no plan. You know everything that I have gone through and how I arrived in France. That is an example worthy enough for me to better understand the results, being unplanned can possibly deliver.

      Cheers,

      Mihir.

      Delete