Friday, November 16, 2012

Being a 'Hindou' in France.

Being a 'Hindou' in France can be a very complicated and confusing existence. It is bewildering. The majority of the Hindus in the world live in India, so I shall assume an Indian nationality. In fact, a person from any religion can be a 'Hindou' in France and not only the actual Hindus. For example, a Christian can be a Hindou, so can a Jew and so can a Muslim or a Parsi and so can any other that bears any sort of resemblence to being from India.

For some, and fortunately not for the majority of the French, they can't differentiate between or don't know the two words 'Indien/Indienne' which means 'Indian' and the person that belongs to the religion of 'Hinduism' i.e. a Hindu. I am an Indian and I am a Hindu, but apparently I have realised that these two identities, although complementary, get reduced to one - Hindou!

I don't really object to it and neither do I feel insulted. I just find it to be very funny and the implications even funnier, where, like I mentioned, anyone can be a Hindou! A few months ago, I was looking for an apartment and the lady who was showing me an apartment was so flabbergasted when I told her that I was from India that she asked me 3-4 times - Vous ĂȘtes vraiment hindou? (Are you really a Hindu?). I found her bewilderment to be extremely funny and yet at the same time I was confused as to why my existence was such a revelation to her.

I was reminded of a comic piece performed by the stand-up comedian Russell Peters, who says that Westerns have an image of Indians in their minds (sitting on top of elephants and flying on magic carpets and charming snakes, etc. etc.) and then we go to their countries and destroy this charming image. And those who don't believe me that Westerners have this image (not all), I can tell you personal stories of people having asked me some very stupid things, as well as introduce you to people who have been asked similar questions.

Anyway, until I realised that some French were actually not sure of the exact word, my own bewilderment continued to increase and somehow, I was getting proud of being a 'hindou'. Oh My God! My religion commands so much awe and respect!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Ignorance is a bliss brother. They have a narrow vision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it is about having a narrow vision. But, as you have put it, it is more of ignorance than anything else. And, even we Indians are ignorant of several things about the Western world.

    ReplyDelete