Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Apple of my 'i'

There was a time when I always wondered what a 'Macintosh' was. I knew from reading British books that a 'Macintosh' is a raincoat but since I was never really a computer whiz when I was a kid, I never really even explored. My use of the computer was just restricted to playing games and my brother was the one who would look in to the maintenance or the upgrades. Not surprisingly, I didn't even know what an operating system was. 

A decade ago, I saw the first i-Pod in my life. I didn't listen to a lot of music at that time, so it didn't excite me too much. I started listening to a lot of music a year later and a few years ago, I bought my first i-Pod and it has become an indispensable part of my life. I can't imagine doing any form of travelling without my i-Pod. I can't imagine going to a gym or exercising without my i-Pod. It is everything I ever wanted in a music player. Portability, ease of use, great storage, great sound and great battery life! My needs were fulfilled completely. 

Although I would have loved to buy every single model of the i-Phone, I could never afford it, so I never bought it. And still, years after its launch, the i-Phone still eludes me. But, this is more so my fault. I can't go back to a older version when there is a new version out. 



My father is one of the typical technologically challenged fathers in the world and he got his first i-Phone a couple of months ago, after my brother and I forced him to change his cellphone. Today, he is in love with his phone. He just loves the user-friendliness and capabilities which he is able to use, without wanting to break his phone or throw it out the window in frustration. 

It is a sad day today. Steve Jobs, the founder of Apple computers has passed away. I salute that man and his genius that made all the i and the Mac products possible. More than the name of the company, it's the i and the Mac that are well-known. Many industry leaders and business tycoons have passed away, but till now, for none has the entire world displayed so much emotion & sorrow. Steve Jobs changed the way people used computers and simple products like a portable music player. Sony had invented the 'Walkman' and Steve Jobs had the ability to convert that great idea into another amazing one. 

He turned a small animation studio that he bought from George Lucas into PIXAR, which became a legend; giving us movies like Toy Story and Finding Nemo. 

He has revolutionized the world of computing and he has gone on to a better place where he will probably revolutionize many other things. 

There are few people in an era who capture the attention of the entire world and leave behind a legacy that goes on forever. Steve Jobs was one of those.

I pray that the legacy of Steve Jobs continues and becomes more and more glorious over the years. 

Cheers to the power of 'i'.




R.I.P. Steve Jobs

1 comment: