Sunday, May 22, 2011

High on Romance

Cloudy, grey and gloomy, greenery everywhere and a pleasant coolness in the air. And, wet! 

Weird it is, this monsoon in Mumbai - the most romantic of all seasons. As it arrives, it leaves behind the scorching heat of the summer and brings in a refreshing change. It is exactly like a splash of cold water on your face after walking in the noon-day sun in a desert. You feel so refreshed. 


For me it is the most romantic time of the year, I feel refreshed and energized and invigorated. The mere memory of a monsoon in Mumbai makes me get all charged-up. Yes, it is not the most comfortable of times to travel in the city and the flooding does not really add to the romantic setting but somehow, these things get completely overlooked. I get to see so many smiling faces walking on the streets during these times. People who have ventured out to enjoy the rain with their loved ones. It's a phenomenon I have not heard of happen anywhere else. It's like a tradition to go and get wet in the rains. One feels lucky to have gotten wet in the first rains of the season. There are special hikes and treks organized during this time of the year especially to enjoy the rain. 


It's considered to be the ultimate enjoyment to have hot bhajiyyas/vada (fritters) and tea when it is raining. More so, if you are wet from the rain and cold and are able to enjoy this special treat. What makes it special is the fact that you are eating bhajiyas/vada and drinking tea in the rains with your friends or if it is a more romantic setting then with your spouse or girlfriend/boyfriend. There can be nothing more romantic than that. 


Since the last couple of days, the monsoon clouds have made their presence felt although it has not really rained yet. It did drizzle for a few minutes last week and I was lucky enough to enjoy that. It felt so nice. I was just so excited even though, not even my head got wet. 

During those few months of the monsoon rains, I feel like I am on high on romance, like I have dosed myself with a 'love drug'. It is simply a very beautiful time of the year and I am glad that I will be in Mumbai this year to enjoy it. It would perhaps, surprise a few that wading through the flooded waters in Mumbai is also considered a romantic thing to do by some. 

When I go out of the city, the landscape is completely green and lush. Waterfalls and streams can be seen on the mountains of the Sahyadri. Rivers and streams are full and flowing with vigorous force. Even nature shows off itself and is playful at this time, trying to get rid off the dullness it has had to suffer during the summer months. 



A couple of lines by बालकवी  describing the month of Shravan that falls within these months of the monsoon -

श्रावण मासी हर्ष मानसी हिरवळ दाटे चोहिकडे,

क्षणात येते सरसर शिरवे, क्षणात फिरुनी उन पडे.


An extremely romantic song with the backdrop of the Mumbai monsoons - Rim Jhim Gire Sawan by Kishore Kumar:








6 comments:

  1. wow yes I completely agree with you Mihir... the monsoons make the bhajiyaas/vada paavs even more tasty...yummy....well about the love drug...yes monsoon creates magic with those in love....also "Rim jhim rim jhim " from 1942 - A love story is like a love tonic...during monsoons and otherwise.... :) I was not the kinds who would go gaga over the monsoons...but I must admit the first rain definitely brings a smile to your face and respite from the scorching heat..... wishing u a lovely monsoon drenched with love.... :P cheers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mihir - The Man on (Writing) Fire. Hehehehe ;)

    I'm so loving to read your posts my dear friend :)
    It is an absolute pleasure :)

    All I wanna say is thank you for telling me that bhajiyas are called fritters :)

    Apart from the romantic aspect, one can definitely enjoy monsoon with friends. I remember getting drenched and walking in waist high water logged roads of Mumbai (Santacruz, East and West) in the deluge of 26th July 2006 with our common friend, the innocent Manish Rijhwani...
    Oh! How we waded through water smiling at people and people smiling back to us on that catastrophic day.

    Even though it was a disaster for us Mumbaikars, which I faced first-hand, (first-hand...hahaha..such an Indian expression!)it still brings a smile to my face. :)

    Thanks for the wonderful post Mihir :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, monsoon reminds me of August 2001, when Dil Chahta Hai was about to release. My building friends and I had gone to Juhu beach and it rained and we decided to play on the shore feeling the rain and the splash of the seawater, then later having a corn. Oh! Man!!!!

    The pleasures of lives are in the simplest of the things. Hai na? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Aamir and Fareena for your kind comments.

    Aamir: Did you know that deluge is also a proper known? It was an event, similar to the floods for which Noah built the Ark.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lollll......now look what u'v done... its a sunday here... its raining... i went to the indian store to get gram flour...my room mates are busy frying bhajiya... i'm making tamrind chutney....... The mississippi flows behind my apt....ain't gona b like marine drive... but yes!!!.. we r going to get wet......thanks for the memories mihir...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you liked it Niru. Enjoy the bhajiyas!!!

    ReplyDelete