Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Blog

This is my first post and I had to start with something so I thought I would just start out with how I came to starting my own blog.

If my memory serves me well, the first I ever was introduced to the word 'blog' was about 6 years ago through a classmate at my CAT classes. I think his name was Ram and when he was telling me about what a blog is, I remember thinking as to why would someone write a blog and why would someone else read it. Remember now, this was before Orkut and Facebook; before the world was so social network savvy. Chatting and E-mail were the only two popularly known forms of text communication over the internet; rather when social networks did not have any popularity whatsoever or were, I believe non-existent.

I think that the popularity of a blog and the popularity of social networks is very much related. Social Networks enabled common people to express their feelings, their thoughts, their views, their opinions, etc. in a public domain. It fostered discussions and debates; sometimes extremely fiery ones but nonetheless it made people comfortable with the internet more so than ever before. I think it has made me so and that is I guess one of the reasons, I don't feel so apprehensive about starting my own blog.

It is interesting for me to see the change in my own attitude towards a blog; not that it was negative but I started to find it very interesting. The credit, however I cannot claim for my own. It has to go to first and foremost, my brother Samir (http://samirgovilkar.blogspot.com/) whose blog is the first one I read and understood the concept. This was followed by blogs from my friends Suraj Shetty and Aamir Ayubi (http://aamirayubi.blogspot.com/) which prompted me further to take the first step in starting my blog. (My friends, I am giving you free marketing here by putting up your blogs; I need some fees either in cash or in kind)

I know it sounds very naive and ignorant that I did not find a blog to be an interesting idea. I don't apologize for it but I just didn't and now I do. I had been toying with the idea of starting a blog for a long time and like many others, I am sure, didn't actually go ahead. I wanted to but didn't do it. Now, all of a sudden, one night I felt like I should do it and I created it.

One day later, I have my first pot....


2 comments:

  1. Welcome aboard Mihir :)
    Thanks for the free publicity :P

    "The last word of your first post is 'pot', I think its 'post'."

    You invited us to comment on it...all I can say is that knowing you for over 7 years...your blog will be very interesting if you keep writing regularly! :)

    P.S.: I still need to be disciplined to post regularly, but I'm sure that won't be a problem for you.
    And I'm your first follower...so that's how I paid in kind for the free publicity :P (you follow me too...lolz)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks for telling me about the incorrect spelling. Instead of rectifying it, I shall leave it there as a reminder to never forget to do a thorough spell check.

    ReplyDelete